Firefighters Pension Schemes

Appeals & Complaints

If a Scheme member, or a dependant, is dissatisfied with a decision made by a fire and rescue authority (or the failure to make a decision) there are rights of appeal available. There are provisions for medical appeal if a person is dissatisfied with a medical opinion upon which a determination of award is based and a right of appeal to Crown Court against an authority’s decision of entitlement to, or amount of, an award. There are also rights of appeal available under Internal Dispute Resolution Procedures (IDRP) based on the requirements of the Pensions Act 1995.

* For further information about medical appeals please contact your HR section / Officer direct *

If the grievance of the member, a dependant, or a pension credit member, is with a decision made by the fire and rescue authority, an appeal can be made in accordance with the two stage IDRP process.


Gloucestershire Fire & Rescue:

Appeals procedure for scheme members (Firefighters Pension Scheme 1992)

Appeals procedure for scheme members (Firefighters Pension Scheme 2006)

Appeals procedure for scheme members ( Firefighters Pension Scheme 2015)


The fire and rescue authority will nominate a person to consider appeals at Stage One – this will normally be the Chief Fire Officer or a representative named by the Chief Fire Officer. The appellant would submit an appeal in writing, it will be considered by the Stage One decision-maker, and a written decision given to the appellant. If the appellant remains dissatisfied with the determination at Stage One, he/she can move to Stage Two by submitting an appeal in writing to the fire and rescue authority. The grievance will be considered and a written response made.

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

TPAS is available at any time to assist occupational pension scheme members and beneficiaries in connection with any pensions query they may have or any difficulty which they have failed to resolve with their pension scheme administrators. TPAS cannot enforce pensions action but, if felt appropriate, could recommend a person to put his/her case to the Pensions Ombudsman. They can be contacted at;

11 Belgrave Road

Tel:  0845 601 2923

The Pensions Ombudsman

The Pensions Ombudsman can investigate a pension scheme member’s complaint of maladministration or a dispute of fact or law between a scheme member and pension scheme managers or employer. However, the Ombudsman cannot help if court proceedings have begun in respect of the dispute or if an appeal has been made to the Medical Appeal Board under the FPS.

The Ombudsman will expect the case to have first been put through IDRP. Also, a complainant who writes to the Ombudsman direct will normally be requested to have the case dealt with initially by the Pensions Advisory Service.

The Pensions Ombudsman can be contacted at;

11 Belgrave Road

Tel:  020 7834 9144

The Pensions Regulator

The Pensions Regulator is a regulatory body which came into existence on 6 April 2005 having been set up under the Pensions Act 2004. (It replaced the earlier Occupational Pensions Regulatory Authority). It ensures that pension scheme members’ interests are protected and that schemes comply with the law.

It deals with issues about pension schemes as a whole. Normally it would expect a scheme member with a personal grievance to seek resolution through the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedures, the Pensions Advisory Service and the Pensions Ombudsman.

The Pensions Regulator can be contacted at;

Napier House
Trafalgar Place

Tel:  0870 600 0707