Internal Complaints Procedure – IDRP

Right of Appeal

If you are not satisfied with any decision affecting you made in relation to the Local Government Pension Scheme, please contact us firstly, either by phone, letter, or via our ‘contact us’ page, and we will aim to resolve the issue for you informally.

If you have sought further information or clarification from us and are still not satisfied with the decision made or the explanation provided, you have the right to ask for that decision to be looked at again under a formal complaint procedure. The complaint procedure’s official name is the “internal dispute resolution procedure”.

The formal complaint procedure has two stages. Many complaints are resolved at the first stage. Any complaint you make should be treated seriously, and considered thoroughly and fairly.

You can ask someone to take your complaint forward on your behalf. This could be, for instance, a trade union official, welfare officer, your husband, wife or partner, or a friend.

No charge is made at any stage for investigating a complaint under the internal dispute resolution procedure. But expenses that you will have to meet are your own (and/or your representative’s) time, stationery and postage.

First stage

If you need to make a formal complaint, you should make it

  • in writing to Daniel Harris at, Peninsula Pensions, Great Moor House, Bittern Rd, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter EX2 7NL, using the Application Form within our Employee’s Guide to IDRP;  and
  • normally within 6 months of the day when you were told of the decision you want to complain about.

If your complaint is about a decision made by your employing authority then Peninsula Pensions will forward your application to their appointed nominated person.

Your complaint will be considered carefully by the nominated person who is required to give you a decision in writing.

If the nominated person finds in your favour, the body that made the original decision about which you made the complaint will be required to reconsider their decision.


Second Stage

You can ask the pension scheme administering authority to take a fresh look at your complaint in any of the following circumstances:

  • you are not satisfied with the nominated person’s first-stage decision,
  • you have not received a decision or an interim letter from the nominated person, and it is 3 months since your lodged your complaint,
  • it is one month after the date by which the nominated person told you (in an interim letter) that they would give you a decision, and you have still not received that decision.

This review would be undertaken by a person not involved in the first stage decision.

You will need to send your complaint in writing to the pension scheme administering authority:

  • within 6 months of the date of the nominated person’s decision, or
  • within 9 months from the date you submitted your complaint if the nominated person has not given you a decision within 3 months of the date you originally submitted your complaint, or
  • if the nominated person gives you an interim decision but not a final decision, within 7 months of the date the nominated person had promised to give you a final decision.

The administering authority will consider your complaint and give you their decision in writing.

You can download a copy of the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure Guide and application form or you can contact us direct.

Additional Help

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

At any time if you are having difficulties in sorting out your complaint, you may wish to contact TPAS. TPAS can provide free advice and information to explain your rights and responsibilities.

To get information or guidance and to find their contact details, you can look at their website

The Pensions Ombudsman

If you are still unhappy following the administering authority’s second stage decision, you can take your case to the Pensions Ombudsman provided you do so within 3 years from the date of the original decision (or lack of a decision) about which you had complained.

You can find more information on their website: