Already a member of the LGPS

About to retire?

Choosing when to retire is one of the biggest decisions you will make during your working life. If you have decided to retire, it is your employer’s responsibility to tell us when you are leaving and to send us the completed paperwork.

Once set up, we will pay your pension directly into your bank account on the last working day of each calendar month.

If you are entitled to a lump sum, or have chosen to convert some of your annual pension into a lump sum, you will receive it after you have retired.

Please see our Your Retirement factsheet for more information. There is also a Retirement Planning Guide which helps you prepare for retirement and what you need to consider.

How we work out your pension

The Local Government Pension Scheme is a Career Average Revalued Earnings scheme (CARE scheme). Your pension and lump sum is worked out according to how much you have earned over your career. For information on how we pay you your pension please click here.


You may decide to take up further employment once you have retired. If it is not in local government, your LGPS pension is not affected. If you work for local government again, you may only earn the difference between your LGPS pension and the amount you were earning when you retired, before it affects the amount you receive. More on re-employment.

Death of a pensioner

Please inform us of the death of a scheme pensioner member as soon as is practical. If a pensioner dies, there may be a lump sum and a survivor’s pension payable to the spouse, civil partner, or nominated cohabiting partner.

Don’t forget to let us know if

  • you change address. You can let us know in writing, by email or by using this form – change in member details.
  • there are changes to your bank or building society account. Let us know by writing to us, by using our form – change your pension payment details – or by calling in.  Please tell us if your address or bank details change by the 7th of the month for the following month.
  • you accept another job with an employer who takes part in the Local Government Pension Scheme.  You must tell us this in writing.