Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs – Miscellaneous

Are pensionable service and length of service the same thing?

No, they are not. Pensionable service defines the amount of service to be used in your pension calculations, while your length of service is the calendar length of time in which you have worked for your employer(s).

How can I choose who benefits from my death grant if I die in service?

The Death Grant Expression of Wish form allows you to indicate who you wish to benefit from your death grant. You can choose one person, a number of people or even an organisation such as a charity. Peninsula Pensions, as the administering authority, has absolute discretion when paying the death grant, and will want to honour your wishes.

Can my partner benefit if I die in service?

When you pass away there maybe a pension payable to an eligible co habiting partner (someone who is eligible for you to marry) or a Civil partner.

What conditions need to be met for an eligible cohabiting partner’s survivor’s pension to be payable?

If you have a cohabiting partner, of either opposite or same sex, they will be entitled to receive a survivor’s pension on your death if they meet the criteria to be considered to be an eligible cohabiting partner.

For an eligible cohabiting partner’s survivor’s pension to be payable, all of the following conditions must have applied for a continuous period of at least 2 years on the date of your death:

–  you and your cohabiting partner are, and have been, free to marry each other or enter into a civil partnership with each other, and

– you and your cohabiting partner have been living together as if you were husband and wife, or civil partners, and

– neither you or your cohabiting partner have been living with someone else as if you/they were husband and wife or civil partners, and

– either your cohabiting partner is, and has been, financially dependent on you or you are, and have been, financially interdependent on each other.

Your partner is financially dependent on you if you have the highest income. Financially interdependent means that you rely on your joint finances to support your standard of living. It doesn’t mean that you need to be contributing equally. For example, if your partner’s income is a lot more than yours, he or she may pay the mortgage and most of the bills, and you may pay for the weekly shopping.

On your death, a survivor’s pension would be paid to your cohabiting partner if:

-all of the above criteria apply at the date of your death, and

-your cohabiting partner satisfies your administering authority that the above conditions had been met for a continuous period of at least 2 years immediately prior to your death.

You are not required to complete a form to nominate a cohabiting partner for entitlement to a cohabiting partner’s pension. The Pensions section will require evidence upon your death to check that the conditions for a cohabiting partner’s pension are met.

Do I need to keep you informed of my home address?

Yes. Your employer will not always keep us up to date on address changes, so informing us directly ensures we have the most up to date information. Deferred members in particular should notify us immediately whenever they move house. When your benefits are due to come into payment, we will contact you at your last known address, enquiring how/when you would like to receive your pension payments.

Can I inform you of a change in address/bank details over the telephone?

No, for auditing reasons, we do not accept changes in your details over the telephone. If circumstances change, you can download and complete the relevant form; write to us at our postal address, or email